Pope Francis in America

Justin Carasa, World News Writer

On September 22nd, 2015, Pope Francis of the Catholic Church took a visit to the United States. During his six-day visit, he mostly stayed around the Northeastern part of the U.S. He visited the capital of the nation in Washington D.C, New York City, and Philadelphia.

On Pope Francis’ first day, he was in D.C and gave a speech at the White House with President Obama attending. In the Pope’s speech at the White House, he stated that he wanted to help with some of the problems around the world. In addition, a papal parade was held for him, which was celebrated for the rest of the day. On his fourth day, September 25th, he flew to New York City to visit the 9/11 Memorial and Museum at the World Trade Center, where he paid his respects to the fallen. Finally, for the last two days of his visit the Pope was in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In Philadelphia, he was at the Eighth World Meeting Of Families, an event of prayers and celebration from people all around the Earth to try to strengthen the bond between families. In the World Meeting of Families, the Pope greatly emphasized how he wanted our families to become closer together and that he wanted us all to be happy.

The Pope wants the people of the world to become closer together and to treat each other equally. The people who were there at the visit were benefited because they had the chance to see the Pope and receive his blessings. They also had the opportunity to learn more about the Pope and his plans to get families more interactive with each other.

After the Pope’s short visit to the U.S., many people were upset that he didn’t come to their cities to give speeches and instead granted his blessings through social media. Sophomore Evan Borque said, “I think that it could’ve been beneficial for the Pope to spend maybe a few more days here so that he could have seen more of America and not just a few cities.” However, thousands of people flew into the cities he visited to see Pope Francis in person.

59 total views, 2 views today