Pumpkin Spice Perfection

Gwenyth Hallo

Popular fall drink restocks at Starbucks.

Gwenyth Hallo, Section Editor

The cooler weather and falling leaves; it can only mean one thing – Fall. Fall is a great season filled with holidays, hot drinks, and pumpkins. Pumpkin coffee is a particularly good festive treat, but many can agree that nothing compares to a Starbucks pumpkin spice latte. Every Labor Day weekend, Starbucks locations everywhere fill up because the pumpkin spice latte is back. Starbucks describes the beverage as “our signature espresso and milk, highlighted by flavor notes of pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg and clove.” With it obviously being a hit every fall with over 200 million sold in the past 11 years, what makes this drink such a success?

The Today Show released an article on their website explaining the three reasons why we’re hooked on the pumpkin spice latte. One reason is that we’re “biologically wired” to like it. This is because it contains the perfect amount of fat and sugar, along with salt and cinnamon to engage your taste buds. The caffeine is an obvious draw. American high school students depend on caffeine to function throughout the day. “A PSL in the morning gets me going because at that time, I am exhausted and this drink with the flavors and sugar just wake me up,” says junior Paris Carr.

“It’s a trend and people bandwagon,” said sophomore Mintra Putlek. The drink is quite a trend. Also, the pumpkin spice latte’s flavors probably triggers the happy times your brain associates it with. The cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove spices in the drink reminds you of pumpkin pie, which reminds you of Thanksgiving and the holidays.