Pipeline Bursts and So Could Gas Prices

Back to Article
Back to Article

Pipeline Bursts and So Could Gas Prices

Gas prices in Miami, Florida pictured.

Gas prices in Miami, Florida pictured.

Kristine Toraya

Gas prices in Miami, Florida pictured.

Kristine Toraya

Kristine Toraya

Gas prices in Miami, Florida pictured.

Kristine Toraya, News Writer

At TERRA, many upperclassmen and nearly all teachers drive their own cars. An increase in gas prices could negatively impact the driving population, as they would have to spend more money on gas. “Since it costs about sixty dollars to fill up my tank now, if prices rise I would have to be even more careful with the amount of gas I use to save money,” says TERRA junior Aramis Rodriguez.

On October 31, 2016, a major gasoline pipeline in Alabama burst, killing a worker and injuring five. According to Fox News, the incident occurred when a construction machine struck the pipe igniting the explosion. The same pipe had been struck in September of 2016 and was being repaired when the machine hit the line a few miles down. Between both explosions, several thousand gallons of gasoline were lost. This poses a threat to the southeast, as this line was a major supplier to the region and shortages could result in an inflation of gas prices. Suzel Alvarez, a parent of a TERRA student, believes “many individuals would be affected by this change in prices, especially those who might be struggling financially.”

The explosion sent the area into a state of emergency. The public worried that gasoline could reside near their homes, potentially affecting their health. To prevent this, surrounding residents were ordered to evacuate their homes. The environment was also directly impacted. The explosion caused wildfires to erupt, which burned over thirty acres of land. The flames cleared the land, killing off plant life and disturbing animal life. “This damaged ecosystems and food chains in the area,” says Seanne Chen, TERRA student in the Environmental Science academy.

Since this burst could affect the entire southeast region, officials are working to restore the damage as soon as possible.  Quickly stabilizing the pipeline would reduce the amount of gasoline lost and therefore prices would not be affected as much as consumers are expecting.