On the Edge

Emily Fojon, Entertainment Writer

Everyone knows growing up is hard, and going through high school is not any easier. The new drama-comedy film “The Edge of Seventeen” is yet another coming-of-age movie. This film was produced by Academy Award winner James L. Brooks, filmmaker of “Broadcast News,” “Say Anything.” “Romantic comedies are the type of movies I enjoy watching because it is amusing and sweet at the same time,” said TERRA sophomore Melissa Canales.

The movie involves seventeen-year-old Nadine Franklin’s (portrayed by Hailee Steinfeld) journey from a ferociously anti-social character into an open person. Written and directed by Kelly Fremon Craig, “The Edge of Seventeen” has opened up to very positive review for being his first film. This film is direct, while often being hilarious and offering insight into what it is like growing up as a young woman in today’s society. “Casting director Melissa Kostenbauder did an amazing job picking actors, making this movie as realistic as it can be,” said TERRA senior Sophia Gonzales. Since its release three weeks ago,  according to Box Office Mojo, the film has grossed up to $12 million.

“Besides the fact that this movie can not be seen by a younger crowd of people (it is rated R,) this is not a step back from me fulfilling my desire of watching the film,” said TERRA senior Vilma Portocarrero.

With great performances by Steinfeld and the rest of the cast, this film feels like an authentic coming-of-age movie for the decade. The film is not a typical teen movie that has been released recently, involving a stereotype and social media filled elements fused into it. Dating back to the 1980s, where coming-of-age films such as “The Breakfast Club” and “Sixteen Candles” left a lasting impact on that generation, just as “The Edge of Seventeen” is expected to do so. Both of the 1980s movies make an attempt in creating a film that will appeal to the teenager during that time. In “The Edge of Seventeen,” the movie accurately appeals to teenagers of the 21st century without using stereotypes to define them.