Caroling into the Holiday Season

TERRA Treble Choir performing at annual holiday show directed by George Dedesma.

Alejandra Nogueira

Alejandra Nogueira

On Tuesday, Dec. 13, 2016, the rhythmic thumping of drums commenced the sixth annual TERRA Holiday Concert, followed by the melodious voices of the TERRA Treble Choir. Energy buzzed through the crowd as the cafeteria was jam-packed with eager parents and students looking to support their peers.

Clad in colors of the holiday season, The Treble Choir showed off their impressive vocal skills by singing popular holiday songs such as “Ding Dong! Merrily on High” and “Spirit of Hanukkah.” The choir delivered very tight and well-rounded harmonies, eliciting chills and goosebumps from those in the audience.

“The performances were good, it started to pick up at the end especially,” sophomore Kevin Benitez said. The choir had previously been practicing the iconic holiday song “Hallelujah” and had nearly perfected it when they sang it at the finale.

Although the choir was a tough act to follow, the TERRA band performed an exquisite rendition of songs from the classic Christmas tale, “The Nutcracker.” Even though tackling such an iconic musical score may present a challenge for most, the TERRA band was generally able to pull off this impressive task.

“I practiced every day at school and home in order to prepare,” said junior Coral Cadaval. A great deal of time and effort was placed by the band to make sure the concert was one worthwhile.

“We started practice in August, right when we got to the class. As an individual, I had to practice a lot on my own to get the parts right,” violinist Raquel Morales said.  

The entire spectacle was expertly directed by TERRA’s own music and band teacher.  George Dedesma. Throughout the show, Mr. Dedesma was constantly bustling on and off stage to ensure that everything ran as smoothly as possible.

“Mostly everything runs very smoothly, but things happen. The moment that you’re dealing with sound equipment, anything can go wrong. You can have a power surge, which can knock out the equipment. Unexpected feedback may occur if a student is standing too close to a microphone or if a parent forgets to turn off their cell phone. Stage lights may explode — that happened to us one year. These things don’t happen often, but they do happen,” Dedesma said.

During this year’s concert, a microphone fell over while the TERRA Singers performed. Yet, the show continued smoothly — a testament to the true level of professionalism of the performers. Mr. Dedesma’s readiness and years of experience showed as well when he continued conducting without a hitch.

Overall, it seems that everyone has nothing but positive things to say about the show.  With the hard work and dedication from everyone involved in the program, the Holiday Concert ended on a sweet note.

58 total views, 2 views today