Seniors Embark on a Safari

Seniors Lauren Baldaccini, Stephanie Ocejo, Adriana Pizarro, and Aliyah Basit at Senior Breakfast at Jungle Island on Jan. 31 Photo credit: Stephanie Ocejo's Twitter account.

Kyannah Diaz, Section Editor

The Class of 2017 packed their bags and went on a safari to Jungle Island for the annual senior breakfast on Jan. 31. When the seniors arrived at the venue, they made their way to the Treetop Ballroom which had been set up and decorated by the class officers. Senior Sofiah Santamaria said, “The officers transformed this room into an actual safari!  You can tell it took a lot of effort from minor details such as the passport themed program, to the photo booth props and beautiful table decor. Our class is lucky to have such dedicated officers and sponsors.”

A buffet style breakfast was served and students got to choose from a variety of fruits, pastries, pancakes, and other delicious foods. Breakfast was followed by an impressive hypnosis show by Erick Kand from St. Petersburg. With student and audience participation the show was a success, leaving not only the students but the teachers and staff, in awe.  Kand had hypnotized students and had them acting like monkeys, calling their celebrity crushes, and falling asleep within seconds. “I never believed that being hypnotized was actually possible until he [Erick] managed to hypnotize me,” said senior Enzo Hoyos. “It’s a feeling that I can’t describe.”

The seniors had been nominated for superlatives like Colgate Smile, Wolves for the World, Best Eyes and Best Sense of Humor, along with other categories. They [seniors] had been anxiously waiting for the superlatives winners announcement. After winners were announced, class president, Karen Herrera, came up on stage to read a speech that she had written especially for her classmates. “Karen’s speech was touching and you know every word and piece of advice she said was meant from the bottom of her heart,” senior Rebecca Farinas said. “Her dedication and contribution to our class these past four years is something that my friends I will alway remember because, without her, none of our activities would have been possible.”

Senior breakfast was ended with closing remarks by class sponsor Dr. Ed Dickson, who pulled a surprise out of his sleeve and announced this year’s prom theme: “A Quest in Egypt.” Seniors all received a green, waterproof speaker as a gift from the school on their way out. Dr . Dickson said, “I didn’t want the gift to be your average cup with the school’s name on it. I wanted it to be something that was useful and would last, so a lot of thinking went into this.” Overall, the seniors enjoyed their day and made more memories that they can to take with them as they move onto the next chapter of their lives.

Seniors Kyannah Diaz, Manny Real, Tatiana Lozano, Natalie De la Osa, Sergio Medina, and Emily Mendoza pictured at Senior Breakfast on Jan. 31 Photo credit: Emily Mendoza

Superlative Winners

Mr. / Mrs. President – Michael Goncalves & Karen Herrera

Colgate Smile – Meleannie Trigoura & Paolo Dimaano

Best Eyes – Katia Baixeras & Alejandro Newman

Wolves for the World – Michael Goncalves & Emma Monfroy

Loudest Howl – Max Sanchez & Maia Duschatzky

Mr. and Ms. Class of 2017 – John Alvarez and Alyssa Millet

Ol’ Reliable – Christopher Suarez & Marlee Gray

Mr. / Ms. IQ – Christopher Clegg & Claudia Verona

Social Butterfly – Alexandra Arintok & Alejandro Newman

Peas in a Pod – Adriana Pizarro and Aliyah Basit

Most Creative – Joshua Rodriguez & Sophia Arintok

Glo’ Up – Nestor Gutierrez & Danielle Acebal

Cover Model – Aron Mesis & Robbie Fourqurean

Selfie King/Queen – Alejandro Arrieta & Dalianni Ricardo

Best Sense of Humor – Sophia Fundora & Alejandro Arrieta

Future Olympian – Connor Acosta & Karina Bermudez

TERRA’s Got Talent – Joshua Rodriguez & Sophia Arintok

68 total views, 4 views today