Gore Verbinski’s: A Cure for Wellness

Kylee Mulrooney, News Writer

On Feb. 17, the psychological horror film A Cure for Wellness began showing in theaters across the nation. The story is about a young man, Lockhart (Dane DeHaan) who is sent to a mysterious rehabilitation hospital in the Swiss Alps. He meets a girl patient there, Hannah (Mia Goth) who helps him uncover the terrifying secrets of their unorthodox ways of treating patients.
A Cure for Wellness is directed by Gore Verbinski. He is known for many other movies such as The Ring (2002), Pirates of the Caribbean (2003), and The Lone Ranger (2013). A Cure for Wellness was anticipated by many teens who enjoy these types of films, some students even have a person or group of people to watch horror films with, this storyline is different from any other suspense/thriller type film, such as The Purge (2013), and Gone Girl (2014). Verbinski’s films have received good ratings, a 6.6/10 stars on IMDb.

Sophomore, Isabel Iglesias said, “The movie was very interesting, and it threw surprises a lot such as, the parts when you find out that the headmaster of the hospital is a father trying to protect his family for over 200 years.”

The film had a unique storyline which made it all the more exciting to its viewers. Some parts of the movie were very disturbing and sinister, such as when the head of the hospital let eels go into Lockhart’s body through his mouth. This was to make him more susceptible to suggestion meaning that he wouldn’t see a reason to leave the hospital. The film was nightmare-ish, the scenes in the movie are more disgusting than any other in the thriller genre.

A Cure for Wellness was a movie that became a topic for everyone to talk about, it’s shocking scenes and previews became talked about as the film was almost being released. Sophomore, Brianna Schuh said, “I was looking forward to seeing this movie as soon as the trailers came out. It looked so good and different by the way they advertised it.”

People enjoyed seeing A Cure for Wellness and are looking forward to other movies by Verbinski, in just the United States alone, the movie has grossed $7.5 million, according to Deadline. A Cure for Wellness is a new type of thriller film that will be the start to other controversial films.