THE TERRABYTE

New Wolves Dominating Sports

Back to Article
Back to Article

New Wolves Dominating Sports

Freshman Samantha Garcia at one of her softball games.

Samantha Garcia

Samantha Garcia

Samantha Garcia

Mariaguadalupe Vilchez, News Writer

Sports at TERRA regain dedication, commitment, and passion. This school year, many freshmen are involved in the array of sports offered at TERRA and seem anxious to show the student body, their teammates, and their coaches the potential they have to offer as it is the first year they try out for sports in their high school careers.

Samantha Garcia is one of the many freshmen who is actively involved with sports. Garcia made varsity basketball and varsity softball.

“So far it’s been really fun, and I’m having a great time in every team I’m in,” Garcia said. “I’m only a freshman, but it will get better for the next four years.” She maintains a healthy balance between her challenging schoolwork in AP World History and Biology while dedicating time to sports.

Most freshmen are reluctant to try out for sports, since most upperclassmen play a role in the drafting, limiting freshmen spots on the team. “For swimming, there are only so many lanes available and we try to have a firm number of boys and girls,” said swimming coach Marly Zea.

When choosing a freshman to be on the team, Zea makes sure that“ they have some knowledge of the sport, and have the willingness to learn and have a commitment to perform at the next level. Also, someone who has a feel for the sport, in this case, the water.”

Marcos Belaval, a freshman on the varsity volleyball team, mentions that his tryout experience consisted of  “trying to show that you are better than the previous [volleyball] team.”
Belaval has been playing volleyball since middle school and decided to try out for the TERRA team because he wanted to pursue volleyball in high school. He said that keeping up with school and volleyball is very manageable for him. “We practice every day with the exception of Friday. Practice usually starts at 4:30 PM, so I do my homework before practice and anything I have to finish I’ll do afterward.”

When it comes to academics and sports, freshman Bryanna Mirabel, a member of the girls flag football team, feels that “at times it gets hard with all the math homework and science tests, but I think I’m doing just fine.”

Ultimately, it all comes down to the freshmen, as they show plenty of  “enthusiasm and interest to be part of a school sport,” according to girls flag football coach Mr. Peter Caroddo.

Caroddo also said that he, “strictly chose the team by performance, and there are very few juniors and seniors, on the team, out of twenty girls, who the majority of them are freshmen and sophomores.” He also added that the freshmen, “were much more athletic and energetic than I expected them to be,” and hopes that the “love of the sport and competition and their chance to get better and better” keeps them on the team for the rest of their high school career.