AP Testing Season is Coming

Desiree Pico, Managing Editor

For many students, the arrival of April marks the beginning of the countdown to summer vacation, yet it also ushers in the beginning of something a little more stressful: AP class crunchtime. These classes offer multiple incentives to those who are brave enough to take on the rigor, such as college credit or a GPA boost. Those who have never taken an AP course before are often unsure of what to expect and how to best approach the course material. Upperclassmen can offer excellent advice on these classes, as they have had more exposure over their years at TERRA.

Senior Michael Gonçalves is very well-versed in all things AP, having taken 13 AP classes ranging from the sciences to the languages in his duration of high school. He has scored a 5 out of 5 on every AP exam he has completed, with the exception of United States History (scoring a 4). Being able to score so well on these exams takes a lot of dedication and careful planning.

Q: How do you balance extracurriculars and your academics?

A: “The hardest thing is definitely juggling the time to prepare for multiple exams, especially when Saturday review sessions overlap with other classes or when you need to learn different writing styles for different tests.”

Q: What study source do you recommend?

A: “Barron’s! They’re my absolute favorite source to review the material I’m shaky on.”

Many juniors are also familiar with the AP exam prep process. Ana Ruas has taken 10 AP courses so far, such as AP Chemistry, AP Seminar, AP Calculus AB, and AP US History.

Q: What is the most challenging aspect of preparing for AP exams?

A: “The most challenging aspect of preparing for AP exams is finding the time to review for the exams, while also having to complete homework and being involved in school activities.”

Q: What advice would you give to underclassmen?

A: “The advice I would give to underclassmen on preparing for AP exams is to not wait to the last minute to start reviewing. Start reviewing early, that way you remember most of the information for your exam and are not left scrambling the night before preparing for the test.”

Junior Damian Barquin

Q: What advice would you offer to any student contemplating taking an AP course?

A: “I urge anybody to take an AP and to make a conscientious effort to learn and learn to enjoy learning the material they’re being taught.”

Q: How do-able have you found your AP exams so far?

A: “Every AP exam so far has been completely do-able and nothing too intense.”

Junior William Abreu

Q: How many AP classes have you taken at TERRA? Which ones?

A:  “I have taken 4 AP Classes at Terra. AP World History in Freshmen year and AP Language and Composition, Ap Calculus AB, and AP United States History in my junior year.”

Q: What do you find is the most challenging aspect of taking and preparing for AP exams?

A: “The most challenging aspect of taking and preparing for the exams is the juggling of multiple APs at once, and not knowing what exactly will be expected of you in the exam.”

Q: How do you prefer to prepare for your AP Exams?

A: “I find it best to look over notes and watch study videos online for a few weeks prior to the exam to refresh my memory of the material.”

Q: What advice do you have, if any, for underclassmen about taking AP classes and preparing for the exams?

A: “My advice to underclassmen who are taking or will be taking AP exams is to make sure that you focus on the material throughout the year, don’t expect to somehow learn everything about a class the night before the exam, take good notes, pay attention during lectures and study.”

Check out the AP exam testing schedule below, for more information regarding testing locations, ask your teacher.

Justin Pradere
Infographic created by Justin Pradere

36 total views, 2 views today