Moving forward: Students look to the future

TERRA Environmental Research Institute closes off another year.

As the school year ends, various staff reporters take a look at how each class level feels going into their next academic year. From the perspective of a freshman, a sophomore, a junior, and a senior, these stories reveal the expectations and goals for the upcoming year.

Moving forward: Freshmen to Sophomores

In a matter of weeks, the 2016-17 school year will come to an end. Summer will come and go. Soon enough, the freshmen will have evolved into sophomores. Freshmen year as they knew it will become more distant while sophomore year will become more permanent.

Engineering student Hunter Reker said, “Freshman year was great and I hope the sophomore year will be even better.”

Although most freshmen look forward to not having the “freshmen label” anymore, others look forward to taking different courses. Courses such as Chemistry and Algebra 2 are some examples of courses that incoming sophomores may be looking forward to.

“I’m really looking forward to next year’s engineering class and English because of the great teachers for 10th grade English,” Reker explained.

While some freshmen are looking forward to the new courses that are offered, others are seeking the new opportunities sophomore year may bring.

“I feel like I’m opening a new chapter in my life towards my future,” Roberto Martinez said.

Moving forward: Sophomores to Juniors

As the 2016-2017 school year comes to a close, TERRA students begin to reflect on the wonderful memories that they’ve made throughout this past year. They also begin to look forward towards the next year with feelings of hope and excitement. Students of the Class of 2019 are now preparing for what is considered to be the biggest and most difficult transition that they will have to make throughout their high school career: transcending from underclass sophomores to juniors, and officially being indoctrinated as upperclassmen.

Junior year is often considered to be the most difficult year of high school. As juniors, start to think about college, and preparing for important tests (SAT, ACT, AP exams), they also begin to focus on raising their GPA’s, with taking on a larger AP course load. The junior year also offers students more opportunities to be more involved in extracurricular activities, as clubs and honor societies offer several positions for upperclassmen to be part of. Sophomore class president Melissa Canales admits, “I’m not looking forward to the stress that I know is waiting for me when I come back to school in August. Between the SAT, ACT, AP classes, and every other resume-building activity, I really hope I remember to practice balance and breathe every once in awhile.”

However, the junior year also entails many fun activities and new opportunities for students to really get the most out of their high school experience. Students prepare to take new classes that weren’t previously available to them. Sophomore Nicole Lago states, “I’m excited to take AP English Language and see how my writing develops throughout the junior year.” Along with taking new and exciting courses, there is much else to look forward to as well. Some of the most anticipated events that Juniors get to participate in include the College Trip, the trip to Busch Gardens, and, of course, the Junior Ring Ceremony. “This will be the first year we’ll be going on a class trip alone which is exciting, and we have the long-awaited Junior Ring Ceremony as well,” says Canales.

A vast majority of sophomore’s look forward to taking on Junior year with the fresh set of skills they have acquired throughout the 2016-2017 school year. Sophomore Adam Blahnik, who tackled on AP Chemistry and AP Art History this year, stated, “My favorite part of the sophomore year is that because I took harder classes this year, I’ve developed time management skills and become a better student, and I feel more responsible and mature.” With these new abilities, Blahnik and many others feel confident with incoming Junior year and its academic rigor.

Although junior year entails a journey of stressful tests and tribulations, the Class of 2019 is ready to pounce with their claws out onto the next school year.

Moving forward: Juniors to Seniors

The 2016-2017 school year was filled with times of excitement, laughter, and even stress. The SAT’s, ACT’s, AP courses, and maintaining high GPA’s took a toll on the juniors of TERRA. Although it was tough and academically challenging, the hard work and dedication paid off.

“The highlight of my year was passing my physics class,” Doris Benjamin says.

The field trips and events made up for such a stressful year as it created such unforgettable memories.

“My favorite memory of junior year was going on the college trip because it got me to start thinking about the colleges I want to apply to,” says Michael Maza.

As the juniors approach senior year, they realize there are many events to look forward to. “I’m excited about everything that comes with being seniors. The luau, senior week, Grad Bash, and prom,” says Rebecca Rodriguez.

Throughout high school, students await these riveting moments that they will remember several years later. However, being a senior marks the end of a journey that began with kindergarten.

In a matter of days, the Class of 2018 will soon become seniors and prepare to close this chapter of their lives as they will be applying to colleges and deciding their futures.  

Moving forward: Seniors to College

In just a few months, college will be a major milestone in the lives of many seniors. Once seniors leave high school, they will enter the world which will offer many new experiences.

Although some seniors have a fear of being freshmen in college next year, other seniors are excited.

“I’m scared for college,” Sarah Gardi said. “It’s a different lifestyle and it feels like I’m starting from the bottom again.” She is pursuing a career to become a pediatrician. “It’s going to be a lot of work but I know, in the end, it will be worth it.”

Although there are some exciting things to look forward to in college, such as a new environment, there are some challenges that come with having a fun experience.

“I’m nervous about being able to pay for college and taking out student loans,” Zane Viscasillas said. “But I know it will all be worth it in the end when I earn my degree.”

While being in college may be nerve wrecking, college can bring more freedom and more experiences.

“I am looking forward to meeting new people and joining extracurriculars,” Kyannah Diaz said. “Being far away from home is going to be a big adjustment because this is going to  be the first time living on my own.” She is attending the University of Central Florida to study nursing.

Although there may be some things to look forward to, including a new experience, some think high school will be the best experiment. However, some seniors believe that senior year will be better than being freshmen in college, some seniors believe that college is going to be better due to more opportunities.

Adriana Khan is attending George Washington University in Washington, D.C. in the fall. “Attending G.W. is going to be a game-changer for me,” she said. “I am hopeful for the future and where it takes me.”

The Class of 2017 will soon embark on new adventures as they graduate from high school.

34 total views, 2 views today