THE TERRABYTE

Cardi B Takes the Music Industry By Storm

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fans at TERRA watch the Bodak Yellow music video

Alejandra Nogueira, Section Editor

25-year-old female rapper Belcalis Almanzar, more popularly known as Cardi B, has taken  the music industry by storm in recent weeks. Cardi B replaced Taylor Swift’s number one spot on the Billboard Hot 100 on Sept. 25 with her hit “Bodak Yellow,” making her the first female solo rapper in 19 years to hold the spot. According to Billboard, as of Oct. 10, Cardi B now holds the longest running number one by a female solo rapper ever.  Although her success appears to be overnight, Cardi B has been hard at work for years.

“Her music is just really real. She doesn’t sugarcoat anything in her past, she just says it how it is. I’m happy she’s gaining notoriety; she’s worked so hard, and she deserves it,” junior Annelise Palacio said.

Her path to success was not an easy one, as she had to overcome several obstacles through her youth and young adult life. She was born to a Trinidadian mother and Dominican father, and was raised in poverty in the Bronx. She claims that at the age of sixteen she was a part of the “Bloods” gang and later had to turn to exotic dancing to escape poverty and domestic abuse. However, her new career allowed her to go back to school at the age of nineteen. She gained some of her fame in late 2013 through viral Instagram videos and the rise of Vine. Her fame skyrocketed in 2015 as she appeared on the sixth and seventh seasons of VH1’s reality show “Love & Hip Hop: New York.” Ultimately, she left the show in order to pursue a career in music.

During early 2016, Cardi B released her biggest project yet, a mixtape called “Gangsta B*tch Music, Vol. 1.” This catapulted her music career and led her to collaborate on more projects with local rappers. Just a year later, she was signed to major record label, Atlantic Records. In February 2017, she opened for The Lox’s tour alongside other iconic female rappers, Lil’ Kim and Remy Ma.

As “Bodak Yellow” at number one on the Billboard Hot 100, it was quickly certified gold.  Many celebrities took to social media to congratulate and acknowledge Cardi B on her accomplishment, including J. Cole and Nicki Minaj, even Taylor Swift sent Cardi B flowers to congratulate her. During the 2017 BET Awards, she won the BET Hip Hop Award for Best Single of the Year.

“I think she deserves every ounce of success because of how hard she has worked on her music and career. She is an advocate for latina women around the world who want to follow their dreams and become successful,” said junior Lia Miloslavich.

Although Cardi B’s music may not be for everyone, she now serves as a role model to young girls around the world by proving that people can come up from nothing and make something of themselves with hard work and determination.

1 Comment

One Response to “Cardi B Takes the Music Industry By Storm”

1. Diego Sacarello on October 27th, 2017 9:13 pm

Cardi b is trash but this article wasnt👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

• Cardi B Takes the Music Industry By Storm

"How to" with TERRA Students

Nutella French Toast – “How to” with TERRA students

Entertainment and Technology

Fan Fury Over Friends

Entertainment and Technology

A Night at Jingle Ball

• Entertainment and Technology

Memories and Traditions to be Thankful for

Entertainment and Technology

Meghan Markle is Pregnant!

Entertainment and Technology

Night School Movie Review

Entertainment and Technology

Kanye West Supports Trump on Social Media and Celebrities Are Livid

• Fashion & Trends

Tips to Save This Holiday Season

Entertainment and Technology

Niall Horan’s “Flicker” Lighting Up Charts

Reviews

“It” Kills at the Box Office

The student news site of TERRA Environmental Research Institute