A Great Day To Be a Cane

Credit%3A+Sun+Senteniel+
Back to Article
Back to Article

A Great Day To Be a Cane

Credit: Sun Senteniel

Credit: Sun Senteniel

Credit: Sun Senteniel

Credit: Sun Senteniel

Katelyn Diaz, Section Editor

On Saturday, Oct. 7th, the Miami Hurricanes took on one of their biggest rivals: the Florida State Seminoles. The Canes finally broke their seven game losing streak against the Seminoles with a last minute touchdown. University of Miami fans were anticipating a field goal in the last six seconds of the game in order to tie the game and hopefully end their losing streak against FSU. Instead, they were pleasantly surprised by Malik Rosier’s 23 yard pass to Darrell Langham, which led them to their 24-20 victory. This win has given UM fans, players, and coaches hope for the playoffs in early January.

After watching the first three quarters of the game, nobody thought it would end the way it did. Both teams had been playing very conservatively and had many incomplete passes. It was not until the fourth quarter that the nerves on boths teams hoping for the win really came into play and the lead changed hand four times. “I really thought FSU was going to beat us because of the way we were playing, but the team really came together and pulled through in the last quarter.” said junior Eddie Palenzuela.

During the fourth quarter, Miami quarterback Rosier huddled his team and said, “They gave us a minute, 24 seconds. That is plenty of time for us to score.” He then put pressure on his offensive line by letting them know that “the receivers are killing them on routes.” He then asked them to give him enough time and made a promise to get down the field and score.

Miami entered the game undefeated with a 3-0 record while FSU entered with a much weaker record of 1-2. This game was a perfect turning point for the Canes, breaking their losing streak, keeping a strong record, and putting them back in the program.

Coach Mark Richt expressed a great amount of joy and positivity about the win in his interview with ESPN. “People know that we’ve got a chance to be one of the better teams in the country. We’re working toward that. We’re not there yet, but we’re getting there.” UM fans like TERRA student Sebastian Aviles, believe that “if UM continues to play the way they have been they can definitely go undefeated.”

On the other hand, the outcome of this game is nothing but bad news for FSU. Seminole’s coach Jimbo Fisher is 1-1 against Mark Richt, which is very different from his impeccable coaching record against former UM coach Al Golden. The end of this streak can change many things, including recruitment for Florida state. The last time the Canes beat the Noles, current recruits were elementary school students. That key fact was used in recruitment for FSU football but is no longer valid. Being the third loss of the season, the team had already been all but eliminated for the race for the national title. Fans and players should see this game as an opportunity for growth and hope that they do not end up on the other end of the streak that they once held.