THE TERRABYTE

“It” Kills at the Box Office

Back to Article
Back to Article

“It” Kills at the Box Office

Justin Pradere, Co-Editor in Chief

It, directed by Andy Mushietti, is one of those movies that already had much to live up to before the first trailer even came out. This film serves as both a remake of the 1990 television miniseries and as an adaptation of the terrifying 1986 novel by Stephen King.

Marketing was crucial to the film’s success, as the first trailer gained over 37 million views on YouTube. So far, the film has been a critical and financial success. It was given a high 85 percent positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes and earned over $500 million worldwide in its first three weeks. And as many will tell you, it certainly deserved all of the praise.

Senior Anabella Garcia describes her movie experience as “amazing.” She said, “The actors took their roles seriously and got into it. It’s what made the movie memorable.” The suspense throughout the film kept her on the edge of her seat. “Overall, it was a great film.”

It is a wonderfully executed horror film with a heartfelt story, decent scares, fantastic characters, and strong direction. The movie definitely has its flaws, and it does not stop it from being something fantastic. For one, the movie is not that terrifying as a whole. It can certainly be scary in some moments, but for a movie based on a novel that has been known to absolutely terrify its audience, it could have been a bit more scary. But as a whole, It is still a very suspenseful movie with so much under its shell.

What the movie truly does phenomenally is develop the characters and overall themes in the story. The acting from all of the child actors are nearly flawless. Each child has their own fear they have to conquer together, and each of the characters are well developed and manage to stay interesting throughout. One of the best things about the writing is that the Losers Club, a group of social misfits who meet and form a tight-knit friendship, is written as if they were real kids in a situation like this. Each of the children individually encounter the mysterious, child-killing clown haunting their home town of Derry, Maine.

But really, the thing that people were most excited to see was the next interpretation of Pennywise the Dancing Clown. Bill Skarsgård excelled in his approach to portray the iconic role of Pennywise. He is genuinely terrifying, and sometimes funny, in this role. Despite not being in the movie often, he felt like a real threat and challenge to the Losers Club.

The whole movie is also masterfully made, boasting with beautiful, yet fluid cinematography and astonishing direction from Mushietti. The music was also something to behold. It can be heartwarming, yet also chilling. Because of that, It creates true emotion.

The thing that made the audience love this movie is the messages that It contains. Themes from the novel of growing up, confronting fear together, overcoming abuse, and the nature of true friendship are presented in the movie effectively.

678 total views, 4 views today