THE TERRABYTE

Las Vegas Shooting Shakes Up America

Source%3A+Fox23
Back to Article
Back to Article

Las Vegas Shooting Shakes Up America

Source: Fox23

Source: Fox23

Source: Fox23

Source: Fox23

Justin Pradere, Editor in Chief

The nation awoke on Monday, Oct. 3 to the numbing news that the worst mass shooting in modern American history had ravaged the Las Vegas Strip. At first, victims thought the loud, rapid series of pops they heard during Jason Aldean’s headlining set on the final night of the three-day Route 91 Harvest Festival were fireworks celebrating the end of the event. But as the horrifying reality that lone gunman Stephen Paddock, 64, was raining a non-stop barrage of bullets onto the captive crowd from a 32nd floor window at the Mandalay Bay resort across the street was realized, panic erupted as fans ducked and ran for the exits. As authorities accounted for the number of victims, the death toll rose to 59 with more than 500 reported injured, making it the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history.

The United States leads the world in having the most mass shootings. This year alone, there have been 15 mass shootings across the country. The Las Vegas Strip shooting was instantly recorded as the worst, surpassing the Pulse Orlando nightclub shooting that left 49 dead and 58 wounded in June 2016.

In an address to the country, President Donald Trump called the attack “an act of pure evil” and added: “In moments of tragedy and horror, America comes together as one. And it always has.”

Some believe the issue of mass shootings should be resolved with a ban on guns.

Senior Paris Carr said, “We don’t live in the 1700s anymore. Our constitution was made to change which is why it has lasted longer than any other in the work. The right to bare arms may be an [expressed] second amendment right but we were defending ourselves from wild Indians or runaway slaves. We live in a society that is completely functional without guns. eliminating guns may or solve all safety problems but it will be a good start. The least the government can do in the mean time is come up with some stricter regulations. Either way, sitting back and arguing between regulations or extinctions is just a waste of time and a threat to innocent civilians.”

“It should have never happened,” senior Mario Barroso said. “[With information presented on the news], it should have been stopped before somehow.”

Paddock’s actions have once again ignited the debate over U.S. gun regulations. In a shocking announcement, the National Rifle Association condemned the use of bump stocks, gunstocks that are specially designed to enable bumpfire, which allow semi-automatic weapons to mimic the firing speed of fully automatic weapons, and recommended regulation on their use. Paddock used the illegal bump stock modification on his semi-automatic gun, which allowed more bullets to be fired, resulting in more fatalities.

“It is very hard to prevent these types of things from happening,” Barroso said. “There is such a divide on gun laws [in this country], it is very difficult to put restrictions on methods on how people get weapons.”

Gun laws across the United State vary considerably by state (including territories), and are independent of existing federal firearms laws, although they are sometimes broader or more limited in scope than the federal laws. The majority of the states do not require a state permit to purchase firearms or require registration. In Florida, it is a felony under law to create, maintain or publish any list, record or registry of legally owned firearms or law-abiding firearm owners, per Chapter 790, Section 335 of Florida Statutes.

The shootings in Orlando and Las Vegas are reigniting calls for stricter gun laws, including here in the state of Florida. Nearly two dozen proposals to change Florida’s gun laws were filed before the shooting in Las Vegas. Of those, only three would tighten gun restrictions. State Senator Linda Stewart represents Orlando. She is sponsoring Senate Bill 196, which would make all “assault” weapons, like the ones used in the Orlando and Las Vegas shootings, illegal. In a survey conducted by the University of South Florida regarding the restrictiveness of gun laws, show a divide in the state. Senate Bill 196 could be debated during the 2018 Florida legislative session, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

These mass shootings are becoming more prevalent in the world. In the United States, the term “deadliest mass shooting” is losing its meaning as these senseless attacks are occurring more frequently.