THE TERRABYTE

Will & Grace is back 11 years later

Back to Article
Back to Article

Will & Grace is back 11 years later

Gabriela Gutierrez-Gallo, Section Editor

Television was changed forever in September 1998 when Will & Grace premiered. Being partly responsible for the evolution of popular culture by mainstreaming gay characters in prime time, it was considered groundbreaking. The actors and writers of the show have appropriated and educated the public on topics concerning the LGBTQ community. After the show ended in 2006, the world was certain that they had all seen the last of Will Truman (Eric McCormack), Grace Adler (Debra Messing), Jack McFarland (Sean Hayes), and Karen Walker (Megan Mullally).

The cast and crew were drawn back together last year to film an online YouTube special encouraging the public to “get out and vote” in the 2016 U.S. presidential election. The video became immensely successful and received climbing views coupled with highly positive feedback. As a result, NBC decided  to bring the show back to its full glory and give America what they wanted.

The show aired its new season on Sept. 28, and so far has aired three episodes. It has been reported that the show was picked up a tenth season with 13 episodes next year, it looks like these characters are not going anywhere. The characters have transitioned from 90’s references to current  popular culture references, to relate to a younger audience and to show how the characters have evolved. The first episode of the new season is centered around the presidency of Donald J. Trump and the title characters Will Truman and Grace Adler visiting the White House. The viewers get to see the shenanigans from the original series come back to life in this newly-revamped season of surprises. A special guest star from the original series makes an appearance in the third episode and stirs up some chaos. Even though these characters are much older now, they still have a lot of growing up to do as the show continues to expand and make television history.