Wolves Explore Their Futures

Back to Article
Back to Article

Wolves Explore Their Futures

Seniors Luis Diez, Zumaya Alonso, Chelsea Ferreira, and Amber Vila attending the College Fair on Oct. 24

Justin Pradere

Justin Pradere

Justin Pradere

Justin Pradere and Giovanna Trelles

Nervous and hopeful for the future, students of all grade levels make their college lists and file into the cafeteria on Oct. 24 to find their dream school. From Massachusetts to Chicago, 53 college representatives set up shop in the cafeteria to advertise their school and help students narrow down where they would like to spend their four years after graduation.

“I hope [students] were able to speak to or gain information on some potential schools that they might be interested in down the road and potential information on deadlines, applications and major programs. This is their life after TERRA,” said Mrs. Julie Vivian, TERRA’s College Assistance Program (CAP) advisor.

All of Florida’s state universities were present, includes University of Florida and Florida State University. This large variety allows participating students to ask questions about the admissions process and the specifics of campus life. The holistic description provided by the representatives left the students with a better understanding of the choices they must make in the near future.

“They were very friendly and informative [and] able to answer questions. I had asked a lot of questions,” senior Lauren Garcia said.  

Each college had its designated booth with informative pamphlets. Some even had forms to fill out to receive information from them in the future or for free college accessories.

The University of Miami’s Assistant Director of Undergraduate Admissions Liz Whitby said the main goal for the university is, “for students to be able to answer the question ‘What do you want to do with the rest of your life’ before they graduate.”

Whitby also said, “The University of Miami provides the numerous opportunities normally offered in large institutions, however does so in a mid-size university, with the class-sizes of a much smaller institution.  It’s the best of all worlds.”

The Wells Fargo booth informed future college students on how to avoid one of the hardships of being a college student: facing student debt. The booth offered different programs to avoid student debt at all costs and websites that could help students find the right scholarship for them.

“I’d recommend others to visit the Wells Fargo booth. It had the most information on how to avoid student debt,” said sophomore Nicholas Rodriguez.

For many students, it was their first time exploring colleges and universities that appeal to them. The one-on-one experiences they had with college representatives is priceless in the search for their dream school. As opposed to having to go to a college fair hosted elsewhere, the comfort and familiarity of TERRA made the college search that much easier, allowing students to open up and get a better understanding of potential schools.