THE TERRABYTE

Clash of the Titans

Matthew Mckeever, Reporter

The World Series, the clash between the top two baseball teams in the country, marks the end of the baseball season with a best-of-seven matchup to determine who is’s the best.

This year, the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Houston Astros are competing for the Commissioner’s Trophy. The Dodgers finished the season with the most wins in Los Angeles team history and a major league best: 104 wins. They won their fifth straight National League West championship and swept the Arizona Diamondbacks in three games in the Division Series. They advanced to the National League Championship Series for the third time in five seasons, where they faced the Chicago Cubs for the second year in a row. They defeated the Cubs in five games and advanced to the World Series for the first time since 1988 where they will face the Houston Astros.

The Houston Astros, with a score of 101-61, were the underdog team of the series. “I have no personal preference, but my uncle likes the Dodgers, so I’m gonna go with them too, Justin Turner’s name has come up in popularity for the Dodgers; [I] , heard he is one of their star hitters,” says English teacher Mr. Eduardo Barreto.

Rooting for the Astros is junior Karen Gomez. “My best friend and I absolutely love the Astros, Jose Altuve is one of my favorite people ever in baseball,” she says, “and he’s the best hitter for them too.”

Both teams have stacked up on great players. The Dodgers have their ace starter, Clayton Kershaw, with a 2.31 earned run average (ERA). This is, one of the best ERA’s in the entire league, according to ESPN’s MLB section. The Dodgers overall also have one of the best pitching staffs in the league with a total 3.38 ERA in a game for the Dodgers. With that in mind, the Dodgers pitching staff has to go against the best hitting team in the league, the Houston Astros, with a top batting average of .282, and an on-base-percentage (OBP) of .346 overall for the whole team. The team also holds one of the best hitters of the league, Jose Altuve, with a .346 batting average and a .460 OBP according to ESPN’s MLB section.

“I feel like the Dodgers are going to have to overcome the Astros notorious hitting with their notorious pitching and be able to win at home to overcome the obstacle of making it to that trophy,” said Barreto when asked about the Dodgers biggest obstacle to win the series.

“I absolutely despise Clayton Kershaw, he’s the ace pitcher so it will take a lot to overcome him, but with Altuve, it shouldn’t be that big of a problem,” said Gomez when asked the same question. Both Barreto and Gomez agree that this will be a close matchup of a 4-3 ending on both sides.

Who will it be, the Astros or the Dodgers, the best hitting team or the best pitching team? The only way to find out is to just watch and observe as the two titans of the game clash to fight for the trophy and the fame. So far, Houston has taken a surprisingly close lead against the Dodgers, leading the series 3-2.

372 total views, 2 views today