Dominic Rivera: A Silver Knight Nominee

Rivera (bottom right) and some classmates gather first-aid kits at TERRA

Adriana Montenegro, Writer

Silver Knight nominee Dominic Rivera first created a personal project to combat poverty in Haiti, known as The Free Clinic Corporation. The Free Clinic Corporation was established at the end of Rivera’s sophomore year in high school and continues to run today. “The Free Clinic Corporation is a 501(c)(3) public charity committed to helping professionals provide services to impoverished communities. Building this corporation was a means to making the world a wholesome place in which every person has an equal opportunity to fulfill their lives and dreams,” explained Rivera.

Throughout his high school experience, self-sufficiency, A.P. courses, and multiple clubs have taught Rivera to juggle hefty responsibilities all at the same time. Rivera has managed his schedule so that he has enough time for extracurriculars and volunteering for projects.  “Being on top of my classes as well as managing personal affairs and getting ready for college made the transition into starting this project much easier,” said Rivera.

Although Rivera’s personal project was not created for the Silver Knight Scholarship, his experience has been very beneficial. Throughout his project, Rivera networked and met business owners, managed finances, and became a leader for hundreds of people a month. Rivera has served as the president of the corporation for about two years and has shipped thousands of pounds of clothes, food, and medical supplies to a small clinic in Haiti.

http://thefreeclinicproject.net
Rivera (bottom right) prepares packages at home

Rivera always tries to help contribute to others through his positive efforts, especially minorities and those who cannot help themselves. His interest in volunteering and social issues allows him to help his community and contribute to others. “Even here in Miami, I initiated many fundraisers and community service events with other corporations to promote healthy lifestyles and how to make better financial decisions to multiple committees in the area,” said Rivera.

In his opinion, Rivera believes that the Silver Knight Award is a huge honor, and is glad he was nominated for it. “As I’m starting to feel the impact of what it means to be an ‘adult’ and starting to live life how I believe is right, high school is starting to become a lot simpler,” mentions Rivera. However, the award does not overwhelm Rivera as much because he is confident in what he has accomplished, and will continue to expand the project for as long as he can.

264 total views, 2 views today