THE TERRABYTE

Kanye West Supports Trump on Social Media and Celebrities Are Livid

Duvi Bisoondial, Entertainment Writer

Kanye West hosted the comedy show Saturday Night Live! (SNL) on September 29th. West, now wanting to be referred to as “Ye”, went on a pro-Trump rant while wearing a MAGA (“Make America Great Again”) cap on stage after the show ended. Topics like racism were mentioned, thus encouraging sparse cheers in the audience while also creating an enormous array of disagreement, especially on social media.

West posted a picture on Twitter and Instagram the next day of him wearing a MAGA hat the next day with the caption reading, “This represents good and America becoming whole again. We will no longer outsource to other countries.” He continued his tweet by saying, “We will provide jobs for all who are free from prisons as we abolish the 13th amendment. Message sent with love.”

Actor Chris Evans who is notably known for his role in the  Avengers Marvel Series has been critical of the Trump administration for awhile. Evans, disturbed by West’s comments posted on his Twitter the following Sunday, “There’s nothing more maddening than debating someone who doesn’t know history, doesn’t read books, and frames their myopia as a virtue,”  he vented. “It’s retrogressive, unprecedented and absolutely terrifying.”

Evans wasn’t the only celebrity who voiced his opinion on Kanye through social media;  singer-songwriter Lana Del Rey, was also prompted to make a comment on West’s post. “I can only assume you relate to his personality on some level. Delusions of grandeur, extreme issues with narcissism—none of which would be a talking point if we weren’t speaking about the man leading our country,” she tweeted.  

Amidst all of the backlash, West went on to tweet that the 13th Amendment, which was ratified in 1865 after the Civil War and abolished slavery and involuntary servitude, is “slavery in disguise, meaning it never ended. We are the solution that heals.” He then took back his words, saying politicians should “not abolish” it, but rather “amend” it.”We apply everyone’s opinions to our platform.”

“I don’t think what Kanye said was right,” 9th grader Gabriella Anceume says. “Abolishing the 13th amendment means freedom. It’s kind of sickening to think that we live in a society that wants to get rid of everything that built America’s foundation.”

Kanye has yet to respond to Del Rey and Evans directly but he has said he will further explain in a TMZ Live Interview, premiering on 10/01/18. He has since clarified his statement on the 13th amendment, by stating, “‘Abolish’ was the wrong language, I misspoke. ‘Amend’ is the right language. What’s beautiful about our constitution is that we can amend it.”

52 total views, 2 views today