THE TERRABYTE

New World Symphony Wows TERRA Musicians

Tri- M Members in front of the New World Symphony building.

Michaela White

Michaela White, News Writer

Friday, Nov. 2, members of Tri-M Music Honors Society went on a field trip to watch the New World Symphony perform in Miami Beach. Students got to experience first hand the artistry of professional musicians and the variety of instruments that work together to form one giant orchestra.

With fantastic seats, TERRA students got to watch the performance from a bird’s eye view, sitting right above the tubas in the last row. Performing music from composers like Beethoven and Stravinsky, members were left awestruck with the beautiful sounds emerging from such a talented group of musicians.

Emily Rodriguez, Tri-M Historian and clarinet player in the TERRA band, happily expressed that she felt “relaxed and more interested with the people playing my instrument.” Giselle Villalonga, a Tri-M member and TERRA violinist, echoed Rodriguez’s point by stating that “it was very interesting to see these young musicians in such a group since they are not much older than we are.”

Not only was this a fun experience, but it was a learning one as well. Tri-M members are dedicated musicians themselves, and attending such a performance of high caliber was a chance to see how professionals were succeeding in the music industry. When reminiscing about watching the symphony, Rodriguez admitted that she “kept looking at their techniques” and was fascinated by “how different they play the same instrument.”

Attending the New World Symphony was a privilege for Tri-M members, not only to watch and hear such a venerated ensemble, but also a chance to bond and get to know fellow Tri-M officers and members. Villalonga felt that after the trip, she felt she “grew as a musician” since it was her “first time seeing a live performance.” This field trip was undeniably an excursion to remember.

708 total views, 4 views today