THE TERRABYTE

Appreciating the Helpers of the Pack

(pictured from left to right) Some of the members of the kitchen staff: Darina Perez, Zoila Glenn, Tania Gutierrez, Angelica Lopez, Yasmey Delgado, Bienvenida Torres, Alna De Varona, Javier Hernandez, Yoanna Ortila, Leonardo Morales, and Lililian Garcia

Melissa Mendoza and Adriana Montenegro

Every day at 6:00 am the hardworking kitchen staff, a team consisting of 14 members, serve a hot breakfast for students to begin their day. The kitchen staff is led by manager Maria E. Salinas, whom has been manager for nine years. All of the staff ensures that the breakfast and lunch is served fresh and on time for the students. “We the kitchen staff do not only see the students, we see you as a family, like our own children, and we want the best for our children,” comments Salinas. The staff receives training in order to handle the equipment, and how to treat their customers, because customer service is very important in this field. “Everything here has to run very smoothly and nicely and I think that every time the kitchen staff goes to serve the kids in the lines, it is a very important part to them, giving the best serving to all of you,” says Salinas.

General worker, Angelica Lopez, started working at TERRA two months ago. “I like the school, the students, the employees, the teachers, the environment, everything is good,” stated Lopez. Lopez enjoys her job here at TERRA because she is able to interact with all the students. She has served as other positions including manager at a store, but has dedicated most of her time to schools.

Another general worker, Tania Gutierrez, has worked at TERRA since the opening of the school in 2009. She loves working here and likes the organization of the school, the distinct manner that the teachers have, and the dedication teachers have toward the students. Something that Maria finds interesting about her work experience here at TERRA is the difference of the nationalities in the students and how they are all different from each other. Serving breakfast and lunch every day at TERRA has allowed Maria to form connections with the students by interacting and conversing with them.

The kitchen staff plays a very important part of the school system, being the faces that are seen every day at school, allowing the school day to run smoothly. They make sure that students have a proper and healthy meal every day.

Junior, Amy Cofino believes that the kitchen staff brightens up the days of many students. Cofino eats breakfast daily at TERRA. “The kitchen staff always ask me how everything is going and to have a nice day,” says Cofino.

68 total views, 8 views today