TERRA Welcomes Foreign Exchange Students

“Mao Nagata (left) and Hikaru Nagasato (right) pictured are the two foreign exchange students that visited TERRA.”

TERRA welcomed two foreign exchange students from Japan on December 4, 2018. Throughout their week here at TERRA, the two foreign exchange students engaged with TERRA students and got to experience how the American school system works, and how it differs from their traditional Japanese setting.

The Japanese students came from Kagoshima, Japan. Mao Nagata, a 14-year-old Japanese student, says she enjoyed Miami’s atmosphere and was excited to be practicing the English language. She thought it was a unique experience and highly appreciated the friendly student environment. Nagata enjoyed TERRA and loved the Japanese club parties and dances.

Nagata was excited about being at TERRA. “I want to know Miami culture and American culture and I like to speak English,” said Nagata.

Junior Emma Jaramillo, a Japanese club officer, was able to interact with the foreign exchange students. “As a Japanese club officer, I was in charge of entertaining them in the club, along with the other officers, as we tried to make it an enjoyable experience for them,” she said. .

Jaramillo thought that the foreign exchange students were extremely polite and kind. “They both seemed like they enjoyed their time in Miami and at TERRA, as they would often smile and allow other students to take pictures with them and they shared Instagram contacts with them,” mentioned Jaramillo.