THE TERRABYTE

Meme Day

Listed from left to right with corresponding costume inspiration beneath them.
Junior, Bianca Vives dressed as internet sensation Jojo Siwa.
Junior, Rachel Hernandez dressed as chef Guy Feiri.
Junior, Andrea Gutierrez dressed as Donald Trump.
Junior, Tiffany Quinones dressed as classis Shalissa Vine.
Junior, Natalia Fernandez dressed as young Cardi B.
Junior, Brandon Lara dressed as Salt Bae.

Listed from left to right with corresponding costume inspiration beneath them. Junior, Bianca Vives dressed as internet sensation Jojo Siwa. Junior, Rachel Hernandez dressed as chef Guy Feiri. Junior, Andrea Gutierrez dressed as Donald Trump. Junior, Tiffany Quinones dressed as classis Shalissa Vine. Junior, Natalia Fernandez dressed as young Cardi B. Junior, Brandon Lara dressed as Salt Bae.

Taormina Cosomano, Student Life Writer

TERRA students arrived to school for the first day of spirit week dressed as their favorite meme or vine. In their creative costumes, from funny pictures to iconic videos, each students costume expressed their favorite modern-day joke.

Students felt excited to dress up as anything that amused them, especially if they resembled their character. Junior, Bianca Vives, dressed up as Jojo Siwa, a 15 year old girl who appeared on two seasons of Dance Moms and immediately became loved by young girls. Vives decided to dress up as her because they shared their blonde hair color and she wore the same big bows as Jojo Siwa.

Guy Fieri who is known for his iconic white hair that spikes up in every direction, is a chef, restauranteur, and television host for his show “Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives”. Terra Junior, Rachel Hernandez matched his appearance perfectly and humorously, wearing a flame filled button down shirt with a hat full of white hair. Hernandez agrees with everyone who loved her costume when saying, “I thought this would be the funniest outfit and what is even funnier is how much I resembled him. I am so happy with the outcome of my costume and all of the other ones I saw.”

Students also came dressed as YouTube sensations known for frequently used phrases and outfits. TERRA senior Matthew Morris came dressed as James Charles, a makeup artist who is known for referring to people in items as “sister.” Morris came to school with a face full of makeup, explaining that he was “very excited to express his love for James Charles and make people laugh.”  He exclaims his favorite part of the day was being able to call everyone sister, even continuing to do it after Meme Day. Dressing up as James Charles was very popular, with senior, Sydney Litke, dressing up as him as well. “He is my favorite YouTuber, I have bought all of his makeup and I think it’s so funny how he calls everything and everyone sister”, said Litke.

A simple, yet popular outfit inspiration consisted of simply wearing jeans, a white T-shirt, and round sunglasses which perfectly reflects Salt Bae‘s outfit. Salt Bae is a chef known for sprinkling salt on his food. Junior Brandon Lara, dressed as him and did the motion of sprinkling salt all day long saying, “All I had to do was hold my hand up and pretend to sprinkle salt and people would laugh, it was pretty funny.”

Although some costumes and outfits were not obvious at first glance and had to be explained further, others were funny nonetheless. Sophomore Gigi Mendes, was not only excited to dress up but was excited to be reminded of Vines that she missed, saying, “I was so sad when Vine was deleted, and this was a day to remember it and honor it.”

Meme day was much awaited and loved throughout the school by students from all grades. Being her first high school activity, freshman Samantha Lizardo was “surprised to see such creative outfits and looked forward to the rest of the weeks festivities.” Whether students had to change their appearance and personality, or simply change their clothes, each student represented their favorite and funniest meme in the best way they could.