India-Pakistan Conflict

Duvi Bisoondial, Entertainment Writer

The mountainous region of Kashmir has always been a source of conflict between the countries of Pakistan and India. Since the Partition of India in 1947, which separated British India into the separate countries, Kashmir has been the single colossal issue facing the Indian subcontinent. Besides its strategic and political importance, both countries claim Kashmir for cultural and social reasons. Although Kashmir has already acceded to India, Pakistan still claims Kashmir because of its Muslim majority.

The latest attack caused by this conflict occurred on Feb. 14, when a convoy of vehicles carrying Indian Security personnel in Kashmir was attacked by a Pakistan vehicle-borne suicide bomber. 41 people were killed, including the 40 Indian paramilitary police and the suicide bomber. The attack was headed by the Pakistani terrorist group, Jaish-E-Mohammed. Sophomore Sofia Agudelo said, “This is the point where all broke loose.” After, a tension between the nuclear rivals flared up as both sides carried out air strikes and shot down each others’ fighter jets. These acts are prompting global concerns over a potential outbreak of war in South Asia. Statistics show that if both went to war, then a World War III would break out. “It’s a shame that this is happening. Conflicts like this shouldn’t be happening. I really hope they don’t go to war. Or else, the results would be devastating,” Freshman Emma Chu commented.

Despite the turmoil, there was a light at the end of the tunnel. Amid the Indo-Pak standoff, Indian and Pakistani youths are affirming their anti-war stance with the hashtag #SayNoToWar on Twitter. Although it’s unclear about how the trend started, it was widely promoted by Kashmiri journalists, Sagarika Kissu, who tweeted, “Let’s trend the hashtag #SayNoToWar. We don’t want more lives to be snuffed out. We want peace.” Celebrities, politicians, rights groups and common users from both countries all raised their voices on Twitter, therefore making it trend worldwide. It was among the top trends in India and Pakistan. When asked how she felt about this, Nathan Nayor replied, “It’s really good that they’re making an effort to stop the war. We need to stop wars. They don’t do anything good.” Kissu has told CNN that she pushed the hashtag on Twitter in an attempt to help break the cycle of violence and war before it’s too late. The only solution available at the moment is preventing this conflict from spreading further throughout Southern Asia.