THE TERRABYTE

An Explosion in the Shoe Game

Edgar Rodriguez, Sports Writer

On Feb. 20th Duke University played against the University of North Carolina in a heated basketball game; with just 36 seconds into the primetime NCAA game, Duke’s small forward player, Zion Williamson ripped through his Nike basketball shoes. This mishap has led to controversy regarding Nike’s shoe reliability and has led to Williamson’s upsetting injury that brought him to the bench.

During the game Williamson was wearing the Nike PG 2.5, a shoe often used by him. As Williamson drove right to make a shot, he stopped hard to spin back left, then planted his left foot rather aggressively causing his foot to rip through the shoe. After the incident, Nike stated: “The quality and performance of our products are of utmost importance. While this is an isolated occurrence, we are working to identify the issue.” Not only did this result in the shoe’s disintegration, but also a detrimental injury for the young star.

The game had to be paused as Williamson laid on the ground in agony while teammates and coaches rushed to him to make sure he was ok. He was taken back to the locker room for proper medical care, where doctors determined the official diagnosis: a mild knee sprain. TERRA junior Jason Gorelick commented, “I feel bad for the guy considering it might affect him in the NBA draft.” As a result of the incident, big names like, LeBron James and Barack Obama went on social media to wish him well. Nike also wished Zion a speedy recovery, stating: “We are obviously concerned and want to wish Zion a speedy recovery.” With this under the belt Nike also suffered as it’s stocks dropped down on Thursday as a result of the shoe’s disintegration. TERRA junior Marc Litke, a college basketball and Nike enthusiast stated, “On God you won’t see me wearing Nikes again.” As a result of this occurrence avid Nike consumers are doubting the quality of their shoes.

Zion Williamson’s injury has prevented him in playing, while also questioning his presence for the AAC college basketball tournament. The Nike shoe controversy has placed a spotlight on Nike and a restraint on their sales as people begin to question their shoes reliability.