THE TERRABYTE

Celtics Drought

Taormina Cosomano, Student Life Writer

The Boston Celtics are worrying fans as they are entering the rest of their season with a record of 40 wins and 26 losses. This is a drastic change from last season where they ended their season with 55 wins and 27 losses; being only second in the Eastern Conference. Now standing fifth in their conference, the Celtics are struggling to pull out the win. If their inconsistency and inability to close the game with a win continues, they will end up in the middle of the standings and not progress into the playoffs.

Offensively, they have been shooting poorly and shooting less free throws, meaning they are not working hard to score. Their lack of cohesion has resulted in many missed shots and contested shots. This is worrying their coach, Bradley Stevens, who led them to the playoffs last season making it all the way to the Eastern Conference Finals where they also made it to the previous year. Stevens is disappointed in his team, saying; “I couldn’t be more unimpressed” with their performance and “we’re not as good as advertised right now” (NBC Sports). Junior Chester Lugo, who follows professional basketball believes “Kyrie Irving needs to step up and take over as leader and push the team harder. The coach Brad Stevens needs to run more plays around Jayson Tatum because he is clearly the most dominant scorer after Kyrie.”After such a successful season in 2017 and 2018, the Celtics’ coach was not expecting such a catastrophic experience.

Coming off a season ending injury, Kyrie Irving is back and leading his team, averaging 22 points, 5 assists, and 4 rebounds per game. Addressing his team’s “drought”, Irving believes that he and his team “just got to play better” and agrees with teammate Marcus Smart when he says that the Celtic’s biggest problem is “not being together.” (The Washington Post). Agreeing with this, junior Marc Litke states, “their recent struggles really show the lack of unity amongst their stars and bench unit.” The veterans, and the newer players are not getting along as well as one would hope. The players are questioning each other, displeased with one another’s effort and performance. TERRA senior Peter Muina believes that “the Celtics are one of the most talented teams in the league but they don’t have the chemistry and teamwork to overcome the rigor and stress of the playoffs. If they can learn to play together they can beat anybody.”

Jaylen Brown directly answers the debate over the team’s “problem” by addressing the issue and offering a solution. Brown told reporters; “We’ve all got to be accountable as a group… It’s everybody. We all have to be accountable to turn this thing around… We just have to continue to empower each other and have each other’s backs”(Boston.com). This is clear to fans and viewers as senior Jonathan Martinez claims, “there’s a big lack of chemistry and Kyrie needs to be more of a leader for the young guys. Also, they need to give Tatum a bigger role so he can really start to become the player he’s expected to be after last season’s success.” The Celtics know what they need to do if they want to further their success and their fans are hoping they can pull it together and make it happen.

The Celtics are letting their fans down and owe it to them to have a positive rest of the season. They know what they must do and so do their fans, which leaves it up to them to pull themselves out if this “drought”.  The Celtics currently stand as the #5 seed in the East and have 12 games left to play in the regular season as they look for a long playoff run ahead.